There you are happily browsing the web with Opera when booosh! all of a sudden you get the “Could not connect to remote server” problem. All your other browsers work, you check all of the Opera settings (e.g. proxy servers) and all looks fine – what is going on?
Question: are you running the McAfee firewall? If so the most likely thing is that McAfee has updated something and suddenly decided to block Opera, this seems to be a default. To check:
- Open the McAfee Security Centre (double or right-click the icon on your task bar).
- Click the down arrow on the “Web and email protection” line.
- Click on Firewall.
- Click on the down arrow on the “Program permissions” line.
- When the list is populated, scroll down to Opera.
- If it says that Opera is blocked, click on the Opera line, then click edit at the bottom.
- Change Opera access to “Full” and click save.
- Try loading a page in Opera, hopefully it works again now.
If you found this useful, leave me a comment, it’s lonely here 😮